Freon™ MO59 was one of the earliest R-22 replacement refrigerants on the market and continues to be used effectively in some applications, such as AC conversions. Freon™ MO59 (R-417A) is a non-ozone-depleting HFC retrofit refrigerant blend, typically used in AC conversions to replace R-22 in direct expansion stationary air conditioning and medium-temperature refrigeration systems.
- Residential and commercial AC systems
- Medium-temperature commercial refrigeration, including:
- food service
- supermarket display cases
- food storage and processing
- Provides efficient, cost-effective retrofits
- Non-ozone-depleting HFC
- In most cases no change of lubricant type during retrofit is required--compatible with traditional and new lubricants
- Enables continued use of existing equipment
- Can be topped off during service without removing the entire refrigerant charge
- Significantly lower discharge temperature and pressure vs. R-22; likely to prolong the life of the compressor
- In most systems provides required cooling capacity
- Has been shown to offer energy savings in some systems
No phaseout schedule or other regulation required.
Freon™ MO59 is compatible with traditional and new lubricants--mineral oil (MO), alkylbenzene (AB), and polyol ester (POE)--in most cases, no change of lubricant type during retrofit is required.
R-417A; A1 Safety Classification